Did you Know?
A Queen bee can lay up to 2,500 eggs per day !
All worker bees are female and have a normal lifespan of 45 days !
Male bees are called “Drones” and their only role is to mate with the Queen of another hive!
A typical honeybee colony has 50,000 to 80,000 bees!
- 1 Queen (reproductive female)
- 300 Drones (reproductive males)
- 25,000 older Worker Bees, foragers (non-reproductive females)
- 25,000 young Worker Bees, in hive (non-reproductive females)
- 20,000 capped Larvae
- 9,000 Larvae requiring food
- 6,000 Eggs
A fully fertile Queen Bee lives 4 – 7 years compared to approximately 45 days for a worker bee!
The Queen Bee’s diet consists exclusively of royal jelly which is produced by young worker bees.